Memorable (Tour) Moments

“I want to give you something to remember Paris by…” Those were the words of Helgi Tomasson right before he promoted me to soloist on the last day of our 2005 tour to Paris.  He was right, I’ll never forget that moment or that tour.

While not every tour has affected me so significantly, each one has added enrichment to my career and my life.  Imagine, in my first two years with the Company I traveled to Paris, three cities in Spain, and London.  While adjusting to the rigors of dancing as a professional, I also got to experience fantastic places like a working local.  I remember walking the alleys of Barcelona to and from the theater, passing the same adorable boutiques every day, and eventually giving in to the temptation of going inside.  In Paris I had my corner café where I grabbed coffee every morning with the Parisians.

While touring in America doesn’t have the exoticism of Europe and Asia, there is still plenty of excitement and the added benefit of no language barriers!  It’s wonderful to perform for other American audiences as the oldest American ballet company, and show our talents and diversity.  Segerstrom Center for the Arts, in Orange County, actually brings in an enormous amount of ballet and is a well-educated audience.  It’s a privilege to perform there with other world-class companies including the Bolshoi and Paris Opera Ballet.  And for us it’s just an hour flight!

Share with Friends!
This entry was posted in On Tour and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. avatar Jeannie Page
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Having lived in Spain and loving Barcelona, I had a lovely image of you walking gracefully through the streets of Barcelona!

2. avatar christie Jones
    Posted October 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Great view of Elana experience! I forwarded it to my friend who used to be on the board of the ballet – maybe she still is.

3. avatar Sandi & Allan
    Posted October 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Having traveled to these same cities, we can picture you “dancing” through these cities on the way to your performances.

4. avatar nancy perilstein
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Loved reading your memorable moments!

5. avatar Nancy
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:32 am | Permalink

What a great description of dancing in Europe and in the US!

6. avatar susan bertin
    Posted October 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

What a treat, Elana! Adding the grace and beauty of your writing to the grace and beauty of your dancing!

7. avatar Claudia Alvarado
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Congrats Elana on your promotion! I always knew you would be the one that would make it all the way, you have always been a very graceful dancer and very dedicated . You many not remember me but we studied together as students with SFBS a very long time ago. I am now a Latin Ballroom dancer but still enjoy Ballet and just happen to come across this site, Again congrats on your achievement, maybe someday I’ll catch one of your performances.