I Did It!

Davit proposes to Vanessa (© Erik Tomasson)

Davit proposes to Vanessa (© Erik Tomasson)

Ever since I woke up Saturday morning, I was wondering how was this going to work out; I was the most nervous I’ve ever been in my whole life. So many emotions going through my head!

At the end of our Romeo & Juliet performance Saturday night, Vanessa and I stood on stage for our bows. The ushers brought her flowers and handed me a microphone; Vanessa looked at me in shock! Luckily, everything was planned very well. Right before the bows, I had gone out for water and someone handed me the ring, which I placed in my poison case. The ushers brought Vanessa flowers and handed me a microphone; she looked perplexed!

I shrugged my shoulders up and down to indicated that I didn’t know either. I walked forward to give a speech and said, “I would like to thank this amazing audience for your great support. It’s an honor to be on this stage and to dance for you.” Then I said, “I would like to share something else with you all…” and there was the longest pause I ever had………………………………I forgot my speech. I realized that I’m not going to remember anything I said and it was all getting very emotional for me. I just walked around to Vanessa and went to my knee and the audience went crazy! They started screaming and I got even more nervous. I handed the ring out of my poison case and I asked Vanessa to marry me. She got teary eyed and was in shock; she said, “yes, yes, yes!” It was one of the best moments in my life. What a great way to end the season and with Romeo & Juliet: a true love story. Thank you for all who helped me make this a reality!

Share with Friends!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

23 Comments

1. avatar Jenny
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I was at Saturday night’s performance; it’s a night I’ll never forget both because of the amazing dancing and to because we were all privy to a fairytale moment. Thanks for an amazing night and for sharing your special evening with us! Congratulations!!

2. Posted May 10, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink

This is so sweet! I wish there was a picture of her reaction. I can’t imagine how nervous you were and how surprised she was.

3. Posted May 10, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

We were there on Saturday night and it was a perfect ending to a fabulous evening. Congrats Davit and Vanessa!

4. avatar Kymberly Hall
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

OMG! I LOVE IT! I am sooo mad I missed this wonderful event. Congrads you two, I am so happy for you both and good luck with your future plans.

BRAVO MEMBER

5. avatar Linda Vallin
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

We were commenting during the 2nd intermission that night that it would be nice, just once, to see Romeo & Juliet with a happy ending. Then it happened! Thank you for sharing it with us, and Congratulations!

6. avatar Katherine
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

So romantic! My friend forwarded me a video that someone managed to catch of the proposal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCyIkNiseU

7. avatar Audrey Ainsworth Kozel
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Its not every day you see a dancer with a microphone! My friend and I did not know what was happening, but you seemed so composed. Once we heard the proposal, my friend and I embraced each other, jumped up and down, and screamed with tears absolutely gushing! Truly a moment I will never forget. Helps us all to remember our own proposals and to never forget the true love that exists. Thank you.

8. avatar Helena
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I was there for that performance and it was the most beautiful and romantic proposal I have ever witnessed. I just started screaming when he got on one knee and I grabbed my DH’s arm, who was already teary-eyed from the ending of the performace and started shaking it violently. It was a spectacular end to an amazing performance! Congratulations to the both of you!

9. avatar Amanda Hua
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Congrats! I met Vanessa a couple of times at the dance classes and I am really happy for you two!

10. Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Oh, you guys. You’re wonderful. I saw you both perform and it was just amazing. Congratulations!!!!

xo

Liza Heider

11. Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Romeo & Juliet: Perfect couple, wrong time. Davit & Vanessa: perfect couple, right time.

12. avatar Breanne
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I knew there was chemistry! Congratulations to you both. I just love happy endings!

13. avatar LisaMarie
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I had my camera and taped your moment and put on youtube…hope you don’t mind! Comments thus far are very loving. Congrats! I’m also a friend of Priya (Nicole S)

14. avatar Teri McCollum
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 9:44 am | Permalink

The stars re-aligned themselves for the “Star Crossed Lovers”! Congrats!!! And thank you for the “new and improved” Happy Ending! And you both contributed to a spectacular season!

15. avatar Jeff Heyman
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I’ve posted two short videos on YouTube that LisaMarie took of the surprise marriage proposal made on Saturday to Vanessa Zahorian by Davit Karapetyan. What a happy ending to a real life Romeo & Juliet! Congratulations to you both!
    Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCyIkNiseU

16. avatar Kathy & Eileen
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Davit… you made this the most amazing evening for everyone present! My daughter and I were up in one of the boxes and the collective gasp from the audience was incredible! We were all just astonished and delighted and so happy for you and Vanessa! Congratulations! And the buzz on the way out of War Memorial Opera House was so exciting… we had all just witnessed something beautiful and amazing and something that connected us through your love for one another… and something we’ll all always remember! Thank you for a wonderfully memorable evening… and it was the best ballet performance I’ve ever seen. Exquisite!

17. avatar Moo
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

This was such an amazing story.

18. avatar Margaret Vaznaian McAlone
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Our family is so thrilled for you! We went to the performanace on Thursday night and was impressed with your stunning performance! Being half Armenian, I have followed both of you and have always been impressed with your artisty and lovely performances. Keep up your wonderful connection and love of each other and dancing! Looking forward to seeing many more wonderful dances by you!

19. avatar Barbara and Olivia Bisel
    Posted May 13, 2010 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Bravo, Davit and Vanessa! To have such a breathtaking ballet capped off with the most romantic, sweetest proposal imaginable is the experience of a lifetime. May the joy you bring your audience be echoed in your marriage!

20. avatar Vanessa Zahorian
    Posted May 13, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Everyone,
    This is Vanessa, thank you so much for your love and support. I can honestly tell you that having you all there cheering us on sent goosebumps through my body. I composed myself well because really all i wanted to do was run up to Davit and jump up and down and hug him but I knew you were there and my parents so I composed myself. I was actually in so much shock that I felt I couldn’t move. When Davit asked me I said yes of course and then he said give me your hand and I couldn’t free it because it was like a dream and I didn’t know how to react. I’m used to performances and things being rehearsed and planned. It was truly one of the most amazing moments in my life. I had three different emotions going on that night. Relief because my shows were over for the season and it was a very challenging season for me( well they all are and I love them all), but very bittersweet for me because the best part is the performing that we do on the opera house stage, the second seeing Davit with a microphone and i must’ve looked so confused. I kept looking around, then I realized what was happening when he knelt down on his knee and I was shocked at seeing the ring and then overjoyed with emotions. I almost cried but I knew that this was the most joyous moment to be standing with my love in front of me and after having just danced the most romantic Ballet of all time. My favorite Ballet and favorite love. What a better moment and memory…

21. Posted May 15, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

A large group of ballet students from our California Academy of Performing Arts in Moraga (some of your alumni are on our staff) were there that night and you have given them a precious memory they will carry all their lives! They were so excited and have been talking about it all week. Magical memories – that 1st pair of pointe shoes; getting to play Clara; that first solo – and now add this memory. Thank you, Davit, for sharing the magic.

22. Posted June 25, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Hello my name is Jordan and I am a ballerinia I have danced for basically all my life and This is the time I have off well but um I go to the Kriov I have danced a tiny role with the Mariinsky but I have been Clara Auruoa Lots of times and those are basically my favorites well I have to go bye! :)

23. avatar Amanda
    Posted July 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I am so happy for both of you! I saw you dance together in Don Quixote a few years back and was enthralled by your breathtakingly beautiful technique. That, coupled with the (very evident) chemistry you share made for an unforgettable performance! Congratulations again and I look forward to seeing you dance (individually & hopefully together) this coming season!

3 Trackbacks

1. By Friday Finds 5.14.10 on June 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm

[...] Romeo and Juliet, with a happy ending.  [...]

2. By Dance Blogs You Should Read - Part 2 on June 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

[...] like: I Did It! Davit Karapetyan proposes to his partner Vanessa Zahorian [...]

3. [...] Like a scene from an unforgettable film, Davit proposed to Vanessa on that same Opera House stage following a performance of Romeo and Juliet. See the story here. [...]