I’d compare Alexei Ratmansky to any historically significant choreographer—he reminds me of “the greats.” He’s a choreographer with immense range, from creating abstract works to re-staging classics, and he’s unfailingly passionate about his work. Shostakovich Trilogy is a gift from a master at work, who was able to explore the depths of his favorite composer, Dmitri Shostakovich, and create the ultimate homage. Ratmansky renders a fascinating emotional, intellectual, and above all, poetic interpretation to Shostakovich’s glorious music. It is a non-narrative work about Communism, Stalin, and war.
Ballet Master & Assistant to the Artistic Director
March 26, 2015
Don Quixote is guaranteed to bring joy to all. Blending Russian classicism, Spanish flair, and relentless humor, Principal Dancer Vanessa Zahorian sums it up as, “explosive and powerful energy, pizazzy fun.” Here are Five Fun Facts that are unique to SF Ballet’s production that will get you ready for your visit:
1. This production of Don Quixote includes 228 lavish costumes, all of which were designed by the late Tony Award-winning designer, Martin Pakledinaz. And if you add up all the various parts to each costume, we can count well over 1000 costume elements onstage! He also designed SF Ballet’s uniquely San Francisco Nutcracker.
2. The youngest Don Quixote cast member is nine years old. There are 33 SF Ballet School students from Levels 1-6 dancing the roles that include the Puppets, Gypsies, Little Cupids, Petite Gamache, Basilio’s Assistant, Flower Girls, and Altar Boys.
In three acts, Don Quixote is the ultimate romantic comedy. SF Ballet’s production weaves a romantic tale based on Cervantes’ classic novel. With the love story between Kitri and Basilio at center stage, SF Ballet’s production brings this Spanish village to life through the lively and comedic characters.
Everyone who follows our guidelines and publishes a tweet by noon on Friday, March 27 will receive a special discount on Don Quixote tickets. A discount code will be sent in a direct message on Twitter from @sfballet. (Be sure you follow us at @sfballet so we can send you a direct message for your ticket offer!)
Tweet the Plot Guidelines:
- Follow us @sfballet (Remember you must follow @sfballet in order to receive a direct message with your promo code!)
- In 140 characters or less, compose your tweet describing the plot ofGiselle. Use your best creative skills and have fun with it!
- Tag the tweet with #TweetDonQ (If you don’t use this hashtag, we won’t know you’ve participated!)
- Check your direct message inbox on Twitter for a special promo code for 20% off Don Quixote tickets. Please keep this code a secret, and encourage your friends and family to take part and receive their own ticket discount! (Please note that is your account is marked private, we will not know that you have participated and cannot send you a direct message!)
- Participate by noon on 3/27/15 to win your promo code! Read More »
The ultimate romantic comedy, Don Quixote features a truly colorful cast of characters. Here we offer you a who’s who of the featured characters in the production (** spoiler alert** some of the descriptions include key plot points):
Don Quixote – A dream-chasing, would-be knight who ventures out on the ultimate quest for love. Short on sleep and rich in grandiose ideas, he and his sidekick, Sancho Panza, travel near and far to defend virtue and punish all those who transgress the code of chivalry. The man knows how to make an entrance.
Kitri – The playful and fun-loving inkeeper’s daughter is always at the center of attention. Whether it is her fancy footwork and fan tricks, or her stunning beauty, all the men in town clamor for her attention. Will she marry her longtime love Basilio, choose a life of luxury with the wealthy nobleman Gamache, or abandon them all for the chivalrous Don Quixote?
Lorenzo – Kitri’s heart may be uncertain, but her father, Lorenzo’s is not. He would have his daughter marry Gamache, and be treated like a princess. (It wouldn’t hurt his pockets much either!) His heart is in the right plac, but will he see the error of his ways?
Basilio – The town barber, he’s rich with charm, but not with money. Basilio captures Kitri’s heart with his dashing ways and witty personality. Though not her father’s first pick, Basilio’s love for beautiful Kitri is deep and true. He’s not bad on the Spanish guitar, either.